Practice with a Purpose
Empowering you to take
control of your life

Rock Hill, SC Lawyers for Birth Certificate Amendments Assisting Clients with Changes to Vital Records

Vital records are helpful for recording important events in life, including the date of birth, marriage, divorce, and death. As such, it’s crucial to ensure they’re accurate. Fortunately, it is possible to correct a birth certificate, death certificate, or other record once you realize it’s wrong. At our South Carolina law firm, we can assist with this process.

Our lawyers have helped many clients request changes to birth certificates for various reasons. Whether you notice a spelling error or want to submit a name change, our legal team can handle this task with ease. Call us to learn how we can assist with amendments to your birth certificate and other official records.

What Are Common Reasons to Amend a Birth Certificate?

While most vital records are correct, sometimes you find mistakes or experience changes in your life that render them inaccurate now. One example of a common reason to amend a birth record is to correct an error, such as the spelling of a name or the birth location.

You might also want to update a record that is missing information. For instance, if paternity was not known at the time of the child’s birth, the record may be missing the name of the father. Adding it can help with a family court case, such as proving who has a child support obligation for a child born out of wedlock.

Another reason to amend a birth record is to change the parents’ names after adoption. A lawyer with experience requesting updates to birth records can help, so contact our South Carolina law firm to get started.

Who Can Amend a Birth Certificate?

If you want to amend your birth record, the process is straightforward as long as you can prove your identity and show that you’re at least 18 years old. Amending a child’s birth record is more complicated since only certain people can do this. They include:

  • Both of the child’s parents
  • The mother or father, if the other parent is disabled or deceased
  • The child’s mother, if paternity has not been established
  • A guardian who has legal custody of the child

If you fit into any of these categories, be prepared to approach the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) with a sworn statement regarding the correction you want. A qualified attorney from our law firm will help, so contact us today.

What Documents Do You Need?

Correcting a vital record requires proper documentation. Your family law lawyer will tell you which documents you need for your case, but be prepared to present the following to family court:

  • Completed application form issued by the court
  • Proof of your identity, such as your driver’s license
  • Notarized statement regarding the correction
  • Acknowledgment of paternity
  • Relevant medical records from the birth of the child
  • Parents’ birth certificates
  • Court orders that support the need for an amendment
  • Certified copy of the parent’s marriage license

Before you approach the family court with your request, contact us for legal advice from a skilled attorney. Depending on the complexity of your case, you will need a lawyer’s assistance to prepare for an upcoming court hearing, obtain a court order, or gather the evidence necessary to complete the amendment you plan to request.

Should You Hire a Lawyer?

In some cases, correcting a record is simple and only requires you to fill out a form and show minimal documentation. But other cases require you to go to family court and follow court-ordered instructions before you can get child support, spousal support, and other services. It isn’t easy to know what type of case you have until you talk to a lawyer about your legal rights, so we encourage you to schedule an initial consultation with us.

When you call us at 803-266-1812, we will schedule a time to discuss your case. Once we understand what errors you need to amend and why, we can outline what to expect from the process. Our legal team will help you prepare for your court hearing and get certified copies of your marriage license, divorce records, and other documents. Whether you need to amend a record to get child support or correct the spelling of your baby’s name, we’re here to help.