Practice with a Purpose
Empowering you to take
control of your life

Rock Hill, SC Name Change Attorneys Helping Clients Through the Legal Name Change Process

Your name is an important identifier, so you can change it if it doesn’t represent you well. You can do the same for your child if it’s in their best interests. If you don’t know how to make such a change in South Carolina, hire a lawyer to guide you.

When you contact The Howze Law Firm LLC, you can trust our legal team to assist with every step of the name change process. From filing a name change petition with the court to fulfilling the requirements for changing your name, we’re here to help you get the results you want. Call us to discuss your case.

How Do You Request a Name Change After Marriage or Divorce?

One of the most common reasons for an adult to change their name is because they got married. If you want to take your spouse’s last name, bring a certified copy of your marriage certificate to your local Social Security office. This will give you a new Social Security card with your married name, which you can use to update your driver’s license, bank accounts, and more.

To switch back to your maiden name after a divorce, you can request this in your divorce order. This will let you change important documents back to your maiden name. If you already have a divorce order and you didn’t request to change your name, contact us for help with the proposed change.

Can an Adult Change Their Name for Any Reason in South Carolina?

Adults can change their name for nearly any reason in South Carolina if they take the proper steps. First, you must file a name change petition with the family court. This requires you to let the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) conduct a criminal background check and a fingerprint check. Doing so shows that your adult name change request is not because you want to lie about your identity or avoid legal obligations.

The judge will request a signed affidavit that states you are not trying to avoid creditors, law enforcement, or an obligation to pay child support. The judge will also check that you’re not on any lists kept by government agencies, such as the DSS Central Registry of Child Abuse and Neglect. If you’re concerned about the adult name change procedure in South Carolina, contact us.

How Can Parents Change Their Child’s Name?

Changing your child’s name is more challenging than requesting an adult name change. First, the court in South Carolina requires both parents to consent. So, if you want to change your child’s last name because the biological father is not in their life, you need the approval of that parent to get a court order. Note that this won’t remove the parent’s parental rights or child support obligations. Additionally, the judge might make an exception if it’s not safe to get the consent of the other parent, such as if the name change would protect them from an abusive parent.

The judge will assign a Guardian ad Litem to learn if the name change is in the child’s best interests. Some factors to be considered include:

  • How long has the child had the name
  • How the name change would affect the child’s life
  • What the child’s wishes are
  • Whether it would help the child feel more like part of the family unit

A lawyer will help prove to the court that it’s in the child’s best interests to legally change their name. Contact our office today to discuss your case.

How Can Attorneys Help with Name Changes?

Any person seeking to change their name can benefit from a lawyer’s advice before going to family court. Whether you’re a parent hoping to change the name of your child or you wish to change your own name, our team can help. We have years of experience handling cases in the South Carolina court system, from name changes to birth certificate amendments.

As such, we can advise you on what to expect from the court, from the filing fee to the forms you must complete. Call us at 803-266-1812 to talk to a skilled South Carolina attorney about name changes and other legal actions you’re interested in.